About Me

I study animation and tell stories through my art, whether by writing, illustration, painting, or animating. I live in the country with horses and 2 German Shepherds named Raven and Sula. When I'm not drawing and animating at work, I do farm stuff at home!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I will always love 2D

3D animation is becoming more and more the norm nowadays...but for me, 2D will always be the top dog.  There is not a single 3D movie or game that tops any of my 2D favorites...there's a missing element in 3D...something to do with hand-drawn animation I think.  Nothing can beat it.  NOTHING! 


Here's what I think:  2D animation and live-action film are on the same level because they have the presence of human nature within them...whether it is the impeccable acting of an actor or the drawing of an artist:  There's emotion that seems less forced and less awkward than 3D for me.  Up, Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon, and Toy Story can't compete with An American Tail, The Iron Giant, The Lion King, All Dogs Go to Heaven, The Secret of Nimh, or even the likes of Ren and Stimpy...you know why?!  I never catch myself thinking about those 3D movies, or aspiring to make a lovely, technical render of a 3D character...NO!  I always, no matter what am more drawn (oh how witty) to 2D.


Yeah, all the music and sound can make me weep and laugh and shudder, but I don't need a picture for that...which is why I will always drool in a die hard way over 2D.


Anyway, I am working on a 25-second animation of my slightly insane charcter Jay Walker, which I will post when I'm through...will take more than 48 hours of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment